Monday, April 22, 2013

Glass Houses (Morganville Vampires #1) by Rachel Caine

I managed to purchase used copies of the first few books in the Morganville Vampires series last spring and I finally got a chance to sit down and read the first one.  I was really excited to start the series because my friends Kendra from Books Complete Me and Pixie from Page Turners are big fans who gave glowing recommendations of them.  If you are like me and are only just hearing about these books or you just haven't had the chance to try these, here is the cover and the Goodreads blurb:


From the author of the popular Weather Warden series comes the debut of an exciting new series set in Morganville, Texas, where you would be well advised to avoid being out after dark.

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.
This is a really great book.  I really enjoyed the characters.  The beginning was a bit traumatic for me as someone who has experienced bullying (but thank goodness not to the extent seen in this book).  There are so pretty rough scenes of bullying and harassment so if that is an issue- be aware.  Claire is great because she is so strong but also so intelligent.  She's in a place where so many of us have been.  Freshman year can be a rough time.  Eve is great too.  She's surprisingly open to Claire for a girl whose goth dress keeps many people at arms length.  Shane is interesting as well but for some reason, he didn't draw me in like Michael did.  Micheal is just great. I loved him.  I didn't know what to expect going into this book but when I was done, I was so excited to see what will happen next.

You can find out more about Rachel Caine and her work on her website.  There is a website for the series as well as a Tumblr and you can click here to find it on Goodreads.  Rachel Caine can also be found on Facebook and Twitter.  Glass House earns 4 Fairies for an awesome read with amazing characters.


No comments: