Saturday, June 11, 2011

Steampunk Saturdays!


Hi everyone!  I've decided to make Saturdays Steampunk Saturdays (at least for a little while) because there just needs to be more Steampunk Love in this world! Today I am going to turn the spotlight on one piece of Steampunk Merchandise and one book with Steampunkery in it.

I need to give a shout out to Viviane Hebel of Hebelmet on Etsy for her new Infernal Devices Bracelet!  I want one for my birthday (it's August third, in case you were wondering!) and I have a feeling that the husband will NOT be getting it for me.  Sadness.  I'm turning 29 (the age which I plan on remaining for the rest of my life) and I think I should get something cool to show for it!  LOL!  Well, while I work on convincing Andy of the neccesity of this bracelet, you should check it out.  I love all the little gears and bits on the round pieces and even in between on the bracelet.  I have two of Viviane's rings and I LOVE them.  I have never had a more comfortable wedding band- this is my fourth, so I should be an expert by now!  I also have her Mizpah ring which I love to pieces too because it is so beautiful, comfortable and sturdy.  I get compliments everywhere I go when people notice my rings and my husband even gets compliments on his matching set.  Her work is not only beautiful but of excellent quality.  She has pieces for the Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices series, for Holly Black's Curse Workers Series and she has a general shop.  Check it out!

Now for the book spotlight!  I met Kady Cross  at the Harlequin Teen signing at BEA and I told her how much I loved her book.  She signed my copy of Girl in the Steel Corset and was really awesome!  This book is a genuine YA Paranormal Steampunk.  There are very few of these that I have encountered.  If you've read or seen the Parasol Protectorate books, these are a bit like that only YA and more X-men and less Twilight.  The teens in The Girl in the Steel Corset have special abilities that are being magnified by a compound from the center of the Earth.  The story combines all the great bits and pieces of the time period: Jekyll and Hyde, Jack the Ripper, the infernal devices (automatons), Queen Victoria and Journey to the Center of the Earth.  The girls in this story are just as strong and capable as the guys and there are the underlying romantic plot lines that make it really rich and fun.  I highly recommend this book and it is a good starter Steampunk book for those people who aren't sure if they'll be into it.  Please give it a try!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great feature!

Also, I don't mean to be rude, but steampunk is a sub-genre of sci-fi, so it would be incorrect to call it "paranormal".

Megan said...

Maybe I wasn't clear- the book The Girl in the Steel Corset is a YA geared book, with Paranormal story lines and themes that occur in a Steampunk world. I'm calling the book mentioned paranormal not steampunk in general. The Parasol Protectorate and Steampunk Chronicles are Paranormal and Steampunk. Hope that makes more sense?