Thursday, July 21, 2011

Firelight by Sophie Jordan

I have to say, I LOVE the feeling of accomplishment that I get when I get to cross a book off of my To Read List!  I also love my friends out there, all over the US who will loan me a book or send me a note when I'm down.  Some of my best friends are women who I've never met in Real Life.  That is how I got my hands on a copy of Sophie Jordan's Firelight.  It came from a friend of mine in Oregon who is as awesome as can be!  She lent me her copy so I could read the ARC of Vanish that I have.  That is a true friend, someone who will lend you a book they love from across the country.  Huge thanks go out to Brandi for loaning me Firelight, which I read in one day then dove right into Vanish and now has gotten me HOOKED on the Firelight books.

I'm going to give you the Goodreads blurb in an attempt to keep this spoiler free:


A hidden truth.
Mortal enemies.
Doomed love.
Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.
Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.
Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.

It sounds amazing, right?  And Firelight totally delivers.  I loved every moment of it.  I loved that Jacinda has the ability to be strong and still vulnerable.  I enjoyed that even though her mom and sister had moments where I was super annoyed with them for their behavior, in the end, I couldn't hate them.  I really got annoyed with Jacinda's mom and sister, Tamra, though.  Their behavior just got to me after a while.  But that has to be due to Sophie Jordan's writing, she really made you identify with Jacinda and feel what she was feeling.  My absolute favorite character has to be Will, though.  If you've read this blog before, you know how much I love boys in books.  Will just grabbed me.  I really felt for him.  He's like Jacinda in that he's part of something that isn't what he wants but he's just so special.  Will just stole my heart.  I really want him to be happy with Jacinda and I can't wait to see how Sophie pulls it off.  I really enjoyed this book and loved that we could jump right into the story and build the world as we went without a ton of back story up front.  This book just sucks you right in and throws you into the heart of it all.  I loved this and can't wait to publish my review for it's sequel, Vanish.  I'd suggest this one for readers 14 and up as there are some violent scenes and some suggestive parts.  

You can find out more about Sophie Jordan and her Firelight books by checking out her website or following her on Twitter!




Firelight earns 5 Fairies for being an amazing start to what is sure to be a great series.

2 comments:

Heybran said...

So happy you liked it Megan! It was just one of those books that hit me with a big wow. I absolutely love those kinds of books. (And I adore Will too!)

Can't wait to read your review of Vanish!!

Unknown said...

Your friend was super sweet to loan you the book, so that you could read the E-ARC of Vanish. I've been dying to get my hands on this book as well, because I've heard super fab things about it and your book review has made me want to read it even more. :)

Suz @ A Soul Unsung
Check out my Third Sentence Thursday!
What am I waiting on Wednesday for?
Tweet Me!