Saturday, October 22, 2011

Spooktacular Saturdays: Pumpkins!


Welcome back!  Hope you are reading to talk pumpkins!  I love carving pumpkins.  It's something that I can do that makes me feel accomplished when I finish- even though I totally have to use the patterns!  I've done them EVERY year from my eldest son's first Halloween until now.  Every year I do at least 4 carved pumpkins.  Last year I did some just for a Twilight themed Halloween Party as well as the ones that went out on our porch.  (Speaking of the carved jack o lanterns on the porch- on Halloween night some IDIOTS stole two of our pumpkins with the glass votive holders still in them.  I seriously hope they didn't toss those into the street somewhere!  They also stole our baby giant pumpkin- not cool.)  Here are some of the pumpkins I did last year.
Jacob Black

This is the face from the scarecrow Jack Skellington in Nightmare before Christmas.

Jack Skellington's face

A Wolf howling at the moon

My porch all set for trick or treat last year. The white & black pumpkins are white pumpkins stenciled on with black sharpie.


I love watching the episodes of Halloween Wars on Food Network just to see people make AMAZING pumpkins.  I think this year I'm going to let the kids pick the carvings for our pumpkins but we'll see.  I'm chomping at the bit to get carving but it is still too soon.  I'm also going to share a recipe that our family loves.  I got it from a friend last fall and it is now one of our family favorites.  I, personally, hated pumpkin in any form before this recipe found it's way to us.  Now I love the Pumpkin Muffins and I like pumpkin cheesecake (the one at Olive Garden is INSANE!) but pumpkin pie is still my kryptonite!  Well, seasons eatings and enjoy the fruits of the harvest!



Pumpkin Chip Muffins


1 1/2 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Canned Pumpkin
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
1/2 Cup Water
2 Eggs
1 2/3 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking soda
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
3/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 Cups Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips

Optional: 1 container store bought Cream Cheese frosting and sprinkles

Directions:  In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, pumpkin, oil, water, and eggs; beat well. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and fill half-way. Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. Insert a toothpick in to check for done-ness. If it comes out clean, then it is done. Remove to a wire rack and cool. This recipe should make 24 muffins.

My husband likes these more as a cupcake than a muffin. He puts the store bought cream cheese frosting on them after they have cooled then sprinkles the tops with either decorator sugar or seasonal sprinkles. I think the frosting makes them PERFECT!  My kids love these so much that we always make a double batch and we even make them in the mini muffin size for quick snacks.  Enjoy!

No comments: