Thursday, November 24, 2011

Crossed (Matched #2) by Ally Condie

Crossed is one of the most anticipated sequels of 2011.  In this second book in the Matched series, we see what has happened to Cassia and Ky after they left their homes at the end of Matched. Here is the Goodreads blurb:


The hotly awaited second book in the dystopian Matched trilogy

In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake.

Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever.
I loved this book almost as much as I loved Matched.  In this one, we get to know more about Ky and his past, which is fascinating.  I love Ky because he is so real and sincere.  We also learn more about Xander than we ever knew before.  Condie also brings us to a better understanding of how The Society works and what happens outside of the city.  Nothing is as it seems in Crossed, even more so than Matched.  This story has so many plot twists and turns that your head will be spinning by the end.  The book is a touch slow going because so much of the journey involves giving us more information on the characters and The Society.  In the end, I still  love Ky but I wonder what Xander is all about, REALLY.  The more I learn about him, the more I wonder what his angle is.  I can't quite put my finger on why but I still have to say that I feel like Ky is the right choice.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens in the final book.  This book is appropriate for readers 13 and up.  There is some violence and death in this book.  Younger readers probably could not handle the content but it is really up to each reader/parent to decide what is or is not appropriate.

You can find out more about Ally Condie on her website.  You can add the Matched series to your Goodreads here.

Crossed earns 4 Fairies from me for general Dystopian awesomeness and a good amount of Ky Markham.


No comments: