Friday, August 24, 2012

Flash Friday!



Nightwing #12-  This issue of Nightwing shows Dick's final fight with Paragon.  It really shows that being is important to Dick Grayson but it isn't easy.  He has to struggle with criminals and he gets hurt.  His victories are not easy but he earns them and he earns the respect of those around him.  Dick believes so strongly in doing what is best for Gotham that he is willing to ruin himself to prove it.  He wants to rebuild the Amusement Mile, to return it to it's glory days, and he's putting his money where his mouth is.  He's willing to work with the daughter of the gangster who killed his parents.  Whatever it takes.  This is one of the reasons that I love Dick Grayson.  He is faced with the ugly truth of the world at every turn but he remains positive and hopeful.  He is the embodiment of what Robin is to Batman (even if he's no longer the Boy Wonder).  Robin is the light that keeps Batman from slipping off the deep end.  Dick has that light.  He is just so full of light and love.  He has his down times and he faces challenges like we all do but he's just such an overall positive character.  I give this issue 4 Flashes for a great book full of the Dick Grayson that we all love.

Find It: In Print on MyComicShop or Digitally on Comixology.  




DC Universe Presents #12: Kid Flash-  I've been waiting for months for this Kid Flash-centric issue!  The Flash family was the thing that first got me reading comics and I fell hard for Bart Allen in his Impulse series as well as all of this other appearances before the Reboot.  It's taking some getting used to now that Bart is in the New 52 Teen Titans.  His origin story appears to have changed and he is a little more brash and rough around the edge in this incarnation but I still love Kid Flash.  In this special issue, he deals with three dinosoid teens who somehow came with the Teen Titans from the Mysterious Island that they found themselves on after their escape from The Culling.  Bart is on his own this time but we'll see this story continued in the next issue of Teen Titans.  This book has a great feel for Bart's new part in the Flash legacy.  He is snarky but also you can tell he's all about helping.  He may do some dumb things but he's genuine about being a hero.  I really liked seeing Bart on his own in this issue.  I give this book 3 Flashes for a good book about one of my favorite DC characters.  I just hope that Bart's character will grow in Teen Titans.

Find It: In Print on MyComicShop or Digitally on Comixology.




Red Hood and the Outlaws #12-  Red Hood and the Outlaws #12 is narrated by Roy Harper.  I love his voice in this comic.  It's good to see him standing on his own two feet in this issue and not just being the butt of Jason's jokes.  Roy really shines in issues 11 and 12.  The art in this issue is a bit different but it's not totally awful.  I mean, a new artist has a learning curve.  The one thing that annoyed me in this issue was the flight attendant.  She's still there.  Now it sounds like Jason is warming up to her and we're never going to get rid of her.  Great.  Urgh.  Starfire was actually pretty awesome in this issue.  That's big coming from me as I basically can't stand her comic book character.  The next issue will be the 0 issue which will show us how Jason Todd died and came back.  That should be super interesting.  I may need Kleenex for that one.  I cry when I watch Under the Red Hood.  Poor Jay!  Then issue 13 in October will probably be taking us back to space to see if Starfire and Blackfire have saved Tamaran.  I give this book 3 Flashes.  It was a good issue but not perfect by any means.

Find It: In Print on MyComicShop or Digitally on Comixology.


Blue Beetle #12-  This issue is the one we have all been waiting for!  Things are finally starting to look up for Jaime!!!  Yay!  He teaches Kaji-da about self sacrifice, saves the day and gets acclaim as a hero.  He also spends time with his grandma and gets spit on as a blessing.  That's the crazy life that he lives.  The next issue will be the zero issue which will tell the story of "Kaji-da's secret origins."  I'm not clear as to how it is a secret but I think we'll be seeing more of the Reach in the zero issue.  I'm also hoping that in issue 13 we'll see Booster Gold again.  He needs to make up for being an idiot.  Really.  I also hope that things keep looking up for Jaime in the upcoming issues.  He's such a positive character and all the negativity that we've seen in the New 52 issues of this title don't really show him at his best.  We'll see, I suppose.  I give this issue 5 Flashes for a great book about a great character.
Find It: In Print on MyComicShop or Digitally on Comixology.





Next week will have my pull for this week and next so we'll be getting Batman Incorporated, The Flash, The Savage Hawkman, Teen Titans, Aquaman, Justice League, Young Justice, Super Family Adventures, and the Flash Annual!! 

No comments: