Saturday, January 26, 2013

Prodigy (Legend 2) by Marie Lu

I received a copy of Prodigy at BEA 2012 after eating breakfast with Marie Lu during the week.  She is a sweet and humble girl who was a delight to speak to.  I enjoyed Legend for it's thought provoking qualities.  It isn't just an action or romance book- it makes you question the status quo and the world around you.  I love that in a book.  Here is the cover and blurb for Prodigy which is due out on the 29th (Tuesday).


June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector.

It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long.

But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong?

In this highly-anticipated sequel, Lu delivers a breathtaking thriller with high stakes and cinematic action.

I really enjoyed this book once I got started.  I had a hard time starting because second books have been hitting me hard lately.  There is nothing like the middle of a series to leave you feeling emotionally drained.  This book is no different but the ride was well worth the pain.  June and Day go through a lot in this book but the main theme is that of trust.  Who can you trust.  Who has ulterior motives.  How can you tell.  These are all things that Day and June must question and come to a decision about.  I really enjoy the fact that we get Day and June alternating their narration between chapters.  It keeps things from being too big of a surprise.  You also get to see what is happening on both sides when they are apart.  Day is such a great guy and I love his character.  He's a thief and a con but he has a deep strength of character.  I also like that June is such a strong heroine.  She is confident and sure in her abilities and she sure as heck doesn't need a guy to rescue her.  I think this book is a great read for high schoolers and adult readers alike.  I liked Prodigy even more than I liked Legend.

You can click here to find the Legend Series on Goodreads.  Marie Lu can be found on her website, on Twitter, and DeviantArt.  You can find out more about the Legend books on the official series site.  I give 4 Fairies for an intensely emotional sequel that kept me reading well past bedtime.


No comments: