Monday, January 28, 2013

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

I'm been wanting to read Warm Bodies for a long time.  I think it has been on my To Read for over a year.  If you know me at all, then you know I am a horror WIMP.  I have only seen three horror movies in my life. I watched all of them under duress and I did not finish the last one I tried to watch.  Seriously.  I even had to explain to my husband- right after we got married- that I have to have a night light because I am still afraid of the dark.  So when zombie books started hitting all the blogs over the last few years- I was not in a hurry to read them.  There have been some that I have loved and some that I am still not sure I will ever read.  Warm Bodies was one of the ones that I loved.  I was so excited to see that it is going to be made into a movie.  I really worry about the movie ruining everything like so many other book based movies have.  (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief and Aragon to name a few.)  The trailers look so good for Warm Bodies, though, that I am trying to remain hopeful.  But I digresss, here is the cover and the Goodreads blurb:


A zombie who yearns for a better life ends up falling in love—with a human—in this astonishingly original debut novel.

R is a zombie. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he has dreams. He doesn’t enjoy killing people; he enjoys riding escalators and listening to Frank Sinatra. He is a little different from his fellow Dead.

Not just another zombie novel, Warm Bodies is funny, scary, and deeply moving.
This book is amazing.  It really is.  R tells the story so the tone is not horrific or anything like that.  He is interesting and comical much of the time- even when he's thinking about deep and serious things.  The one thing that made me love this book is that it isn't really a zombie book.  It is a book about humanity and what makes us human.  What can strip us of our humanity and how we can get it back.  Julie is a character with a dark and screwed up past but she still is a symbol of hope.  She has so much hope for the future.  The zombies just have their routines and their impulses but the humans can hope or they can despair.  This is a beautiful love story.  It is also a story about taking a stand.  We can all choose how we want to live and who we want to be.  The question is: are we going to stand and fight for something we believe in or will we give in to despair and condemn not only ourselves but those around us?  This book is an amazing read and I really hope that everyone will make the effort to read it BEFORE they see the movie.  I think you need to experience the book first to really get the full effect.

You can click here to add Warm Bodies to your Goodreads.  You can also find out more about the upcoming movie on the Official Website.  Isaac Marion can be found on his website, his blog, on Facebook and on Twitter.  I'm taking my husband to see this the day it comes out and I hope you all will check it out too!  I give Warm Bodies 5 Fairies for a deep and funny zombie romance that I just want to read over and over again!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so intrigued by this book! The idea of some sort of zombie rom-com is just too cool. Really excited for the film as well :)
Great review!

-Laura
What's Hot?

Miss Remmers said...

I absolutely LOVED this book as well and I can already tell I'm going to be a bit annoyed with the movie as he's missing his tie and the best friend is NOT how she is described. But we will see. :)