Thursday, June 6, 2013

Swamp Thing vs The Zombie Pets (DC Super-Pets) by Jason Sazaklis and Art Baltazar

We bought this book from our local comic shop after the owner recommended the Super Pets as a good series to follow up the recently ended Super Family Adventures.  Here is the cover and Goodreads blurb:


SOLOMON GRUNDY's zombie pets are taking over the swamp. SWAMP THING's bog buddies must stop them.
I had heard from other parents that they were worried that this book would be too scary for young children.  My kiddos are 5, 6 and 9.  They thought it was HILARIOUS!  They had me read it twice before bed the first night that we had it.  Swamp Thing is a more adult comic that deals a lot with hard hitting environmental issues.  This book makes him accessible to kids.  I love the down home critter gang.  They are absolutely adorable.  I also liked that Ace the Bat Hound made an appearance for those kids who love Batman.  Solomon Grundy is a Batman villain after all!  All in all, this is an adorable and quirky story that my kids loved.  Every parent should make their own decisions about what is appropriate for their kids though.  But I promise that the book is more cute and funny than gross and creepy.

You can find this book on Goodreads by clicking here.  You can also find more from Art Baltazar by checking out his website.  He has tons  of signed comics and books for sale and he has information on his appearances for the year.  You can also find him on Twitter.  I give this book 5 Fairies for being kid approved!


No comments: