Friday, July 19, 2013

The Selection (The Selection #1) by Kiera Cass

I have wanted to read The Selection for some time based purely on the super pretty cover.  I also had won a copy of the second book in the series recently so it was perfect timing when I found that our local library had finally purchased a copy of The Selection.  Here is the cover and Goodreads blurb:


For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
This book reminded me of the Hunger Games- I kid you not.  Although, if I had had my way, there'd have been more death.  It is no secret that I am not a girly girl.  I do not do my makeup to go grocery shopping.  I wear jeans and a t-shirt most days.  I'd rather be in the creek looking for crayfish with my kids than wandering the mall in heels.  All that said, America is my kind of girl.  She is not about to change herself for anyone- and that is a good thing.  She and I agree on a number of the girls and their inherent awfulness.  Maxon was... interesting.  I wasn't sure what to think about him at the end of this because he seemed very charming and all but something is obviously bad in the kingdom for them to have such troubles.  The main point brought home in this book for me is that you may love someone because they are your first love but your life isn't going to always play out the way that you planned it.  Sometimes you fall in love with the one person that you did not plan to fall in love with.  Falling in love with your best friend is the best of all.

You can click here to add The Selection to your Goodreads.  Kiera Cass can be found on her website and on Twitter.  I give The Selection 4 Fairies for a good story that kept me reading.


No comments: