Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner #1) by James Dashner

When I saw that Dylan O'Brien would be playing the lead in The Maze Runner movie, I knew I had to read it before the movie comes out next year.  I hate reading a book after seeing the movie for it.  I was lucky enough to snag an audio copy of The Maze Runner from the library to listen to while I picked raspberries this week.  It made the time go so much faster!  Here's the cover and the Goodreads blurb:

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.
I loved this book so much!  It made my heart ache for these boys and my heart race when they faced the unknown.  It's a real emotional read.  It reminded me a lot of Hunger Games and Incarceron.  Thomas is a great narrator and I felt like he really reminded me of Dylan O'Brien's Stiles character from Teen Wolf so I think that Dylan is an excellent choice for Thomas.  The boys of The Glade are all very interesting because, as a woman, I have never and probably will never understand teenage boys.  They are a conundrum.  But these boys are so engaging that you want them to succeed.  You want them to beat the maze.  There are those boys that you know exist but you can't like, not even a little.  The boys who bully others and who want to take advantage of Theresa when she shows up.  They are not quality.  Nope.  Newt's accent in the audio book is just LOVELY.  I loved hearing Newt talk.  He also seems so much more mature than a boy his age should be.  Minho is a great character too.  He's so engaging and you just can't help but like him.  Thomas doesn't particularly like Alby but I really felt sorry for him.  He never meant to be leader, the job was thrust upon him right before everything goes to hell.  You can't really fault him for trying.  Gally though.... yuck.  I could not stand him.  The whole book keeps the reader engaged and guessing.  The book is so well written that you don't really see what's coming until it arrives.  I really enjoyed this book.  I have the second book in the series on audio to listen to soon!

You can find out more about the Maze Runner movie on the official website.  You can find out more about author James Dashner and his other works on his website.  You can also Friend him on Facebook or Follow him on Twitter.  Click here to add The Maze Runner to your Goodreads.  I give The Maze Runner 4 Fairies for a great dystopian that I loved every heart pounding, adrenaline filled moment of!


No comments: