Saturday, August 23, 2014

Highlander in Peril by Kara Griffin

I recently received a review copy of A Highlander in Peril through NetGalley.  I did not receive any compensation for my review.  I love a good highlander, don't you!?

Book Blurb:

A life forever changed
In order to receive his family’s fortune, Sean Gunn must agree to wed the lady thrust upon him by his dying uncle. As a Gunn clan protector and guardsman, he is honor bound to accept his uncle’s legacy and the woman whose voice alone affects more than his heart.

A heart on the mend
Lady Frances Jordan never thought to feel the stirrings of love since she’d lost her husband, but Sean Gunn’s irresistible manner and handsomeness is just what she needs to move on with her life. He awakens more than desire with his passionate kisses and romantic gestures.

Mysterious events abound
When many a lady goes missing near the border of Scotland and England, Sean is determined to find out who the knave is. Unfortunately Frances becomes the target of the would-be attacker and needs the aid of the Gunn protector. Can Sean keep his lady safe and embroil himself in border politics to ferret out the assailant?

Purchase at:
In Print ISBN: 9781500432799 $12.99
https://www.createspace.com/4891247
In eBook: B00M4IL96K $5.99
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M4IL96K


Exclusive Excerpt:

The door led to the rampart and he felt the burst of wind hit him when he stepped outside. There she stood, by the low wall of the crenellation. Concerned she’d fall, he hurried to her side, and took hold of her hand. He wasn’t certain of her and he thought she might jump as grief took hold of her heart.
She stiffened but didn’t pull away. “It’s beautiful out here, is it not? Look at the stars so far away.” Frances became quiet and a few minutes of silence lent to the awkwardness. “I will miss him. He’s been like a father to me and all I’ve ever known.”
Sean touched her face, and turned her to look at him. “I know you will miss him. It is bonny out here. Are you going to be all right?”
Frances nodded and turned back to look at the view. “I feel most at ease here. I suppose you think that strange. How could a person enjoy being out on a dangerous wall, but I feel safe here. I often come out here. It’s where Robert …”
She was going to say something else, he was sure of it. “Where Robert what?”
“Where Robert died, my husband.”
“Ah, so you were married before? Trudy’s father?” Sean hadn’t needed to guess.
She nodded. “Uncle didn’t tell you?”
“Nay, he did not. I don’t deem there was time for him to do so.” Sean stood uneasily next to her. Why her being previously wedded bothered him, he didn’t know. He wasn’t possessive by nature, but the thought that she’d belonged to someone else unsettled him.
“I would’ve explained. If you wish to annul—”
Sean didn’t let her continue. “Frances, I understand. There’s no need to explain and we’ll not speak of an annulment. I suppose Lord William thought I would balk if I knew you were married before and had a child. It matters not to me. I mean to be … a good husband.” Sean felt insecure saying such, but he deemed it needed to be said, and she needed reassurance.
“I’m sure you will. Shall we go inside? There are preparations to see to and I should tell the clan the news.”
“I’ll tell the clan.” It was after all his duty now to see to the clan, and she had enough to worry about. She had a way about dismissing him. Sean kept hold of her hand. He wasn’t ready to depart and had questions, but he wasn’t sure this was the time or place to ask them. “How did your husband die?”
“He fell off this wall.”
He wasn’t expecting such a direct answer. Sean gave her a stunned look, and before he retorted, she drew in a gasp.
“Before you ask, nay, I did not push him.” Frances returned her gaze ahead, looking out at the darkened fields beyond the castle’s walls.
“I didn’t think you pushed him, but that is good to know.” Sean hoped to get her to at least smile or lighten the mood.
“Oh then what was that look for? I would hope you wouldn’t think me capable of such foulness.”
Sean moved closer. “I don’t know you well enough to think anything of you. Och I doubt you could be foul if you tried.”
“That is verily true, but I will not have you misjudging my character.”
He found a grin, happy to know she was prideful. It was a trait he respected because if one had pride they also were loyal. Loyalty was a quality he held above all else. “I won’t. How did your husband fall?”
Frances turned to look at him, and he saw the twinge of sadness reach her eyes. “It was unlike Robert to be senseless and I wondered if he’d been helped off the wall. There was never any proof so I couldn’t assume. We had a good marriage and I thought him happy. He wouldn’t have jumped or have been careless.”
Sean pulled her into his arms and held her. “I’m sorry he died and that you are still mourning him.”
“I shouldn’t be, should I? He’s been gone a long time, years. I was happy then.” She sniffled, what he suspected were tears she wasn’t allowing to fall.
“I vow you will be happy with me, Frances.” Sean liked holding her even though she stood rigidly in his arms. How would he be able to get her to let down her guard? He had a difficult task set before him.
Never had he encountered such a lady, and he wasn’t sure how to act around her. He pulled the tie from her hair and her locks came tumbling loose. The tresses reached her waist and looked like golden silk. The breeze played with the curled ends and tossed them around. Sean wanted to run his hands through the silky looking strands and feel it wrapped around his fingers.
He wanted to tug her forward and kiss her, and as her lips came closer to his, he hesitated. Her gaze lowered and he wanted to kick himself. This was not the time to test her sensuality. And yet, he sensed she wanted to be kissed, felt the passion in her, and the sexual tension between them. Her eyes closed and she leaned toward him.
He wouldn’t be so unfeeling. She’s just lost her uncle, a man she was close to. He’d give her time to deal with the heartache before he’d do anything that would lead her to believe he was uncaring. Sean pecked her cheek, and tugged her hand.
“Let us return.” He guided her inside and left her by her chamber door.
Sean set off to locate the steward. There was much he needed to do and he might as well do something to occupy his mind. Otherwise, he was sure to spend his time thinking about taking his wife to his bed.

My Review

I read this over the course of two days.  I loved every moment of this book.  I really did.  I loved the idea of just knowing when you've met your other half.  It goes beyond being physically attracted to someone.  It's like something just clicks inside you when you meet that person.  It's how I felt when I met my husband.  I loved that Sean was so strong and rough but also sweet, caring and protective.  He also was ahead of his time in his solving of the mystery in the story.  If this is what I can expect from the Gunn Guardsman novels, I want to read them all!

*****
Author Bio:

Kara Griffin grew up in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. A graduate of Frankford High School, she didn't know her path would take her to writing. Who would have thought her first job at a publishing company would lead to her passion?

Kara's been writing since 1999, but before that she was an avid romance reader, consuming up to one book a day. She now works for a book publicity company, and all her spare time is spent writing. Several of her books have been nominated for book awards and book of the month. She aspires to travel to the places she writes about and her dream is to visit the magical lands of Scotland and Wales.

As a mother of three grown daughters, she enjoys spending time with her girls -- and her husband. Being from Philly, she can usually be found watching the Phillies, Eagles or Flyers. She's anxiously waiting for the day when she will become a doting grandmother! And until then, she plans to keep writing.

Kara Griffin
Heroes Heroines Villains Romance Website
Facebook
Castles and Kisses Blog
Get Cosmic! Blog

Connect with author on Facebook:
http://tinyurl.com/nl4ckpf

Book Inspiration/Storyboards on Pinterest:
http://www.pinterest.com/karagriffin/

No comments: