Sunday, August 31, 2014

Shiver of Light (Merry Gentry #9) by Laurell K. Hamilton

I have been waiting for the next Merry Gentry book for years!  I was so excited to see that Shiver of Light was finally out.  Check out the cover and the Goodreads blurb:

I am Princess Meredith NicEssus. Legal name Meredith Gentry, because “Princess” looks so pretentious on a driver’s license. I was the first faerie princess born on American soil, but I wouldn't be the only one for much longer...

Merry Gentry, ex–private detective, now full-time princess, knew she was descended from fertility goddesses, but when she learned she was about to have triplets, she began to understand what that might mean. Infertility has plagued the high ranks of faerie for centuries. Now nobles of both courts of faerie are coming to court Merry and her men, at their home in exile in the Western Lands of Los Angeles, because they will do anything to have babies of their own.

Taranis, King of Light and Illusion, is a more dangerous problem. He tried to seduce Merry and, failing that, raped her. He’s using the human courts to sue for visitation rights, claiming that one of the babies is his. And though Merry knows she was already pregnant when he took her, she can’t prove it.

To save herself and her babies from Taranis she will use the most dangerous powers in all of faerie: a god of death, a warrior known as the Darkness, the Killing Frost, and a king of nightmares. They are her lovers, and her dearest loves, and they will face down the might of the high courts of faerie—while trying to keep the war from spreading to innocent humans in Los Angeles, who are in danger of becoming collateral damage.

I have loved the Merry Gentry for years. I first started reading this series when I was in college, my roommate shared her books with me. I love the books so much that my husband and I named our middle son Rhys. I really enjoyed most of the book because it was like a warm blanket, reminding me of all of the characters that I loved for so long. The ending, however, gutted me. It left me both sad and so angry that I could kick something! It was the most angry an ending to a Laurell K. Hamilton book has ever left me. I loved seeing all of the characters from before but I wanted more.  I want to see Merry get her happily ever after.  I want to see Taranis and Andais gone.  I wanted so much more from this book and did not get it so I hope that there is a next book in the works.

You can find the rest of the Merry Gentry books on Goodreads by clicking here. Laurell K. Hamilton can be found on Twitter, Facebook and on her website.  I give this book 3 Fairies for reminding me why I've loved Merry Gentry for the last 12 years and then destroying me emotionally.


No comments: