Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Throne of Fire (Kane Chronicles #2) by Rick Riordan

My husband and I read the Kane Chronicles books after our oldest son decided that they were the his absolute favorite books of all time. I had tried to read the series before but could not get into them. This time though, I was able to see the series through my son's eyes. I could really enjoy the books as he had. Throne of Fire is the second book in the series, check out the cover and goodreads blurb:


Ever since the gods of Ancient Egypt were unleashed in the modern world, Carter Kane and his sister Sadie have been in trouble. As descendants of the House of Life, the Kanes have some powers at their command, but the devious gods haven't given them much time to master their skills at Brooklyn House, which has become a training ground for young magicians.

And now their most threatening enemy yet - the chaos snake Apophis - is rising. If they don't prevent him from breaking free in a few days' time, the world will come to an end. In other words, it's a typical week for the Kane family.

To have any chance of battling the Forces of Chaos, the Kanes must revive the sun god Ra. But that would be a feat more powerful than any magician has ever accomplished.

First they have to search the world for the three sections of the Book of Ra, then they have to learn how to chant its spells. Oh, and did we mention that no one knows where Ra is exactly?

Narrated in two different wisecracking voices, featuring a large cast of new and unforgettable characters, and with adventures spanning the globe, this second installment in the Kane Chronicles is nothing short of a thrill ride.

I like Carter's narration better than Sadie's but she gets better over the course of the books for me. I don't know what it is about her that bothers me but she rubs me the wrong way. I adore watching her with Anubis though, she's so out of her element with him and he finds her so interesting... I love their dynamic. I feel like I could really use more time to really get to know Carter but maybe he's just a little more emotionally aloof than Sadie is.  I loved seeing all of the new friends that Carter and Sadie have made as they've opened up the House of Life to help other young magicians.  I think that Felix may be my favorite even though we see only a little of him.  Carter and Sadie have to traverse some creepy and scary places on their journey in this story.  The book will leave you more than a little sad before you read the next (final) book in the series.

The Kane Chronicles can be added to your Goodreads by clicking here. You can also find author Rick Riordan on Twitter and on his website. I give The Throne of Fire 4 Fairies for an emotional read that will have you swooning over Anubis, laughing at Felix with his penguin minions and crying for the loss of a great friend.

No comments: