Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Guest Post by Author Connie Smith

Thanks for joining me today for a guest post from author Connie Smith!

Guest Post


One of the oddest portions of this author career is taking a pause out of editing, proofreading, writing, and other life responsibilities to come up with guest posts. I tend to think they have the potential to be more effective than simple spotlights because they allow readers a glimpse of you as an author rather than just being told that your book exists.

This particular guest post is written for the third book of my Division trilogy, and at this point, it’s possible that I’m running low on options. I’ve already done a series of character interviews along with other types of posts, but I’m still supposed to have a series of new posts to promote this new book.

I’m taking that as inspiration, guys. If I’m having trouble coming up with guest posts, then I’ll make a guest post about coming up with guest posts. Resourceful? Hopefully so, and productive.

Okay. So what are some options concerning guest post topics? Here are some that seem useful to my way of thinking.

Character Interviews: Like I said, I’ve done some of these already, and I’ve found that they’re incredibly useful in giving the person reading the blog post not only a peek at your writing style, but a glimpse at the characters involved in your stories. Some of my characters in this series are WEIRD, and those quirks can easily surface during an interview. It lets me unveil some of those interesting aspects without just saying ‘this character is like this…’

Top Ten Lists: I’m kind of a fan of lists, and this is a simple idea that can give the reader of the post a look into… Well, whatever you want to talk about. You want to give them a view of your characters? Maybe list your favorite characters from your books – or someone else’s. That’s a nice quality to this approach – that the post doesn’t have to be about your books or writing. It can be about your favorite television shows or hobbies. It leaves a lot of open territory while offering a chance to introduce a part of yourself to new readers.

Soundtrack: I grew up in a music-appreciating family. And when I say that, I don’t mean that every member of my family can play an instrument. I mean that listening to music, talking about music, and things related have been a pretty significant part of my life. It’s a common thing we share, and it’s been the focus of a lot of hours time-passing with family members. So is it really any shock that I’m a sucker for making a soundtrack list for my books? These aren’t play-lists for me, but songs that express different aspects of the story.

Letters to… I haven’t actually used this approach just yet on a guest post, but it has potential, I think. A letter to a possible reader. A letter to new writers. A letter to your favorite band. Like I’ve said before, this lets potential readers get a glimpse into your life and who you are as an author, because you’re writing things that are more personal than a simple advertisement of a new book. I’ve written one of these letters on my blog, but never for someone else’s. Maybe someday.

New Products, Hobbies, Experiences: This is another method of letting the reader know about you, and it’s wide open for opportunities. Have you traveled lately? Found a new restaurant that you adore? Gone to a concert? Planted a garden? Life can give you material if you just sit back and let it. Look at what’s going on, and find something that seems post-worthy.

Thanks for reading my post, and please consider entering my current giveaway through Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/111090-essenced) and adding my upcoming NA Romance, Tail Lights, to your to-read list (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23267803-tail-lights)!

Excerpt

McKenna watched him leave before refocusing on Johnny, confused at the expression her boyfriend wore. “What are you smirking at?”
            He shrugged. “I’m just not sure how this could be such a bad memory. My girl glued to my side.” Wiggling his eyebrows, he continued. “Playing nurse…”
            “Well, you are poisoned,” she deadpanned. “That puts a damper on these types of situations for most people.”
            “Oh, you’re serious again.” His smirk broadened. “Are you gonna yell at me like you did when my leg was broken? That was attractive…”
            Though she fought against it, her smile emerged, spreading over her lips as she shook her head. “You’re impossible. You know that?”
            “Nah. I just learned along the way how to make my girl smile.”
            Her grin lingered until her attention descended to his leg, the spot of the poison’s initial contact. Then she frowned, her eyes filling with tears and her hands beginning to tremble. Just ten days, she thought.
            “Hey.” Johnny cupped her face, gentling bringing her gaze to lock with his. “We’re not gonna think about that because that’s gonna get taken care of.” Tobias again entered the medical room, moving directly to the corner reserved for the cure’s research to recommence his work. “See?” Johnny nodded his head toward the angel. “Look how dedicated he is to finding this. Think of all the soldiers around us who are perfectly capable of getting whatever weird ingredients he comes up with. If you do, ten days will seem like a lifetime, because it’s plenty of time.”
            And then she was the one smirking. “That’s quite optimistic.”
            He laughed, shrugging. “I told you that you’re rubbing off on me.”
            “And you’re trusting others. Like you finally flipped a switch.”
            “It isn’t like flipping a switch.” He smiled, revisiting the lecture she’d given him while stranded on a cliff. “It’s like deciding not to be in the darkness anymore. You take steps, and the light comes a little at a time until the darkness is gone.”
            She quirked an eyebrow, chuckling. “That seems vaguely familiar.”

            “Someone really smart once told me that.” Pulling her closer, he tapped the tip of her nose with his finger. “She was really hot, too.”

No comments: