Thursday, February 5, 2015

Nuts & Bolts: Industrial Jewelry in the Steampunk Style by Marthe Le Van

I love steampunk jewelry. It is easily one of my favorite things so I jumped at the chance to review a copy of Nuts & Bolts through NetGalley. Here is the cover and the Goodreads blurb:

Those with a taste for modern jewelry, including steampunk fashionistas, will treasure this how-to guide to designing striking ornaments. In keeping with steampunk's do-it-yourself spirit, this manual shows how to use tubes, rods, metal sheets, and other industrial items to create chic jewelry. Comprehensive instructions for 24 projects include lists of tools and parts as well as illustrated directions for assembly. In addition, a full-color gallery of items by professional jewelry artists offers a wealth of inspiration.
Suitable for jewelry-makers at all levels of experience, the designs include Chain Link Earrings; an Orbit Cuff with coppery discs that appear to float; the Galaxy Necklace, featuring prepunched square metal shapes; and the City Lights Stick Pin, which juxtaposes tubes and guitar strings. Other creative and exciting jewelry designs include brooches, matching sets of necklaces and earrings, rings, and bracelets.



The pieces in this book are interesting and pretty. The directions are clear and concise to help anyone of any skill level buy the materials for the pieces and put them together themselves. I just don't know that the book is what it is advertised as. I felt that the pieces were very clean, sleek and modern. I did not see the brass and rust that I expect in steampunk. The pieces are lovely though and I suggest this book for crafters of all skill levels who are looking for modern and/or industrial pieces.

You can click here to add Nuts and Bolts to your Goodreads. I give this book 3 Fairies for a good how to manual for making industrial and modern jewelry but I don't know that I would call the jewelry truly steampunk themed.

No comments: