Sunday, November 14, 2010

Beautiful Creatures by Margaret Stohl and Kami Garcia



I FINALLY got my hands on a copy of Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. The local library has ONE copy that they only bought two months ago. That is the trouble with a small town library. Our county has two libraries- that don't share books with one another. But I digress, I was lucky enough to get my hands on THE county copy of Beautiful Creatures and I have to say that I LOVED it. It is vastly different than most of the paranormals that I read. The Caster mythology was unique and I like that. Also, the southern setting and feel of the book was really interesting. I haven't spent much time in the South but it fascinates me. I also appreciated the DAR jokes. (As a genealogist who does not qualify for DAR admittance- I can laugh it up at their expense a little.) The genealogy used was cool, as well. I found the use of the pedigree chart to be a great way to maybe interest teens and other readers in genealogy.

As for the story, it was refreshing to read a story told by the boy. Usually it is the girl who narrates a love story. Ethan is a good male character who, over the course of the story, does his best to change once he sees the flaws in himself. He realizes that as much as he sees himself as different from the people of Gatlin, he is just like them because he allows himself to be forced into their mold of what a high school age boy is. He has been trying to fit in and seeing how everyone treats Lena makes him realize just how wrong he has been. I really liked seeing a strong male character who can make good choices. Ethan and Lena's love grows slowly but steadily over the course of the book until in the end each would do anything for the other. It is a wonderful and endearing story that I think anyone could love. What a great read and now I just need to hunt down a copy of the recent sequel, Beautiful Darkness.

No comments: