Thursday, March 3, 2011

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Calla is the young alpha of her pack of wolves, Guardians, as they call themselves.  She is a few months away from joining her pack with Ren Laroche's to form a new pack that they will lead together, after they are mated.  She's always known that this was her future.  Everything has led up to this.  But then her world is tipped on its axis when Calla stumbles across a bear attacking a hiker on the pack's territory.  The Guardian wolves are forbidden to aid human trespassers but something about the boy makes Calla decide to save him.  She thinks that once he has left the mountain that she'll never have to see him again or worry about her secret getting out.  Imagine her surprise when she sees him again in one of her classes at school.  Shay (the hiker) is determined to get closer to Calla at any cost and Calla knows that no matter how much she might want to get closer to Shay that it can never happen.  Who owns Calla's heart?  The cocky alpha male or the sweet human boy?

I love the cover of this book!!  Of course, it's even more beautiful in person.  Nightshade is Andrea Cremer's debut novel and I think that the words inside are just as beautiful as the cover.  I really enjoyed reading this one.  I love wolves to begin with so a book about two packs of teenage wolves had me excited to read this book even before it was released.  Calla is a pretty strong female character but I did not like some of her choices and behaviors.  Ren, I disliked from the get go.  He just rubbed me the wrong way.  But Shay- Oh Shay!- I fell in love with him from almost the first moment we see him in the book.  Shay is so sweet and he tries so hard.  He is willing to do pretty much anything to help Calla and to be with her in any way.  Ren just takes it for granted that Calla is HIS.  At least, that is the way it came across to me.  Overall, I loved this book and highly recommend it. It's appropriate for teens and up.  There are some sexual discussions, overtures, and some heavy petting type behavior but nothing too racy. 

Nightshade earns 5 Fairies for a great new "werewolf" book with lots of magic and teen drama.



You can find out more about Andrea Cremer on her website and on Goodreads.  You can also follow her on Twitter.  The next book in the Nightshade Series, Wolfsbane, will be released on July 26, 2011.  I believe it can be pre-ordered now.  This is the cover for Wolfsbane.  I like it.  I just hope that we see more Shay in book 2.

No comments: