Sunday, April 10, 2011

In the Arms of Stone Angels by Jordan Dane

In the Arms of Stone Angels by Jordan Dane is a dark and mysterious book about a girl who lives with a guilty conscience.  Did she make the right decision when she called the police after finding her friend, White Bird, standing over a dead girl with a bloody knife in his hand?  Did he really kill the girl?  How could the sweet boy who had been her friend do that and how could Brenna betray him like she did?  The most scary of all:  if White Bird wasn't the killer- then who was?


This book has so many things going for it!  I loved that Ms. Dane seemed to have really put some time into researching the Native Americans that she was referencing in her book.  She detailed how a sweat lodge was built and her attention to detail really brought White Bird alive.  I loved how Brenna described him so fully as well, since we don't actually get to see or hear from White Bird himself until almost the end of the book.  I also really enjoyed Brenna's love for cemeteries.  I LOVE a good cemetery.  I spend a lot of time in cemeteries when I do genealogical research and I just love the feeling of peace that accompanies a cemetery.  I don't think they are scary but more tranquil.  I totally get where Brenna is coming from.  This is the kind of murder mystery that you don't often see in YA lit but it is SO gripping and well done that you will be drawn in even if suspense and mystery are not your thing.  The ending is pretty surprising and the murder mystery is not cut and dried.  It will keep you guessing right up until the end! This debut YA offering is well worth your time so I urge you to give it a try.  I think you'll be glad you did!

In the Arms of Stone Angels earns 4 Fairies for an interesting and emotional story.



You can find more books by Jordan Dane on Goodreads and you can follow Ms. Dane on Twitter!!

No comments: