Friday, August 19, 2011

Witch Eyes (Witch Eyes Book 1) by Scott Tracey

Witch Eyes is one of the 2011 debuts that I have been waiting for.  I was so excited to be able to get an ARC of this at BEA.  Scott Tracey was signing in the autograph area so I got to meet him too.  I was amazed to find out that he actually lives near my hometown.  Very cool.  I had really high hopes for this book and it met every one of my expectations.

Here's the Goodreads blurb:
Braden was born with witch eyes: the ability to see the world as it truly is: a blinding explosion of memories, darkness, and magic. The power enables Braden to see through spells and lies, but at the cost of horrible pain.

After a terrifying vision reveals imminent danger for the uncle who raised and instructed him, Braden retreats to Belle Dam, an old city divided by two feuding witch dynasties. As rival family heads Catherine Lansing and Jason Thorpe desperately try to use Braden's powers to unlock Belle Dam's secrets, Braden vows never to become their sacrificial pawn. But everything changes when Braden learns that Jason is his father--and Trey, the enigmatic guy he's falling for, is Catherine's son.

To stop an insidious dark magic from consuming the town, Braden must master his gift—and risk losing the one he loves.

Wow.  This book was amazing.  I loved that Braden is gay but the fact that he is gay is not the focus.  He's just himself.  His orientation is introduced and woven through the story as seamlessly as it should be in the real world.  I love that it just is.  I think that Braden has to be my favorite GLBT character of all time.  I also love his relationship with Trey.  It is sweet and real.  It builds slowly but is both passionate and believable.  Which is my brother and his fiance's biggest pet peeve in books about gay men.  (Hey, Kevin and Ivan!  Love you and you are getting this book when Wen is done with it!)  They think most gay men in books are unrealistic because they jump the object of their affection within 4 chapters of meeting him.  That doesn't happen in this book.  Things between Braden and Trey smolder for a bit before they ignite and even then there is no jumping.  
Braden is a great character, he is strong and loyal.  He leaves his uncle who raised him to keep his uncle safe from coming danger.  He goes to a town that he has never been to before and faces any number of unknowns to keep his uncle safe.  How many teens would do that?  Trey is nearly as great a character as Braden.  I love how Trey always just pops up and at first he's all mysterious.  As the story unfolds, we learn more and more about Trey and his family.  Trey is fiercely loyal to his mother and sister.  He would do anything to protect them even though I'm pretty sure his mom can protect herself just fine.  I think my favorite part of the book was the bits where Braden would look into people with his "witch eyes."  What they were thinking and feeling would come to him in smatterings of words and phrases and colors.  Those passages were especially beautiful and surprisingly insightful.
I can not wait for the second book, Demon Eyes.  The end of Witch Eyes leaves you dying to know what happens next.  I would suggest this book for readers 12 years and over.  There is some kissing but nothing graphic.  I highly recommend this book.  Witch Eyes will be released on September 8.  Be sure to get yourself a copy!  You can find out more about Scott Tracey and his books on his website.  You can also follow him on Twitter.  I learn new things every day from following him.  Scott will be attending PAYA on August 27th.  You can find out more here.  


Witch Eyes earns 5 Fairies for a remarkable read that is dark and delicious.


No comments: