Thursday, September 22, 2011

Hades (Halo #2) by Alexandra Adornetto

I've been dying to read this book for about a year now after winning a copy of Halo last fall.  I really enjoyed Halo and could not wait to read Hades.  And that desire only grew when they release the cover art.  SO BEAUTIFUL!  Here's the Goodreads Blurb:

Heaven Help Her.

Bethany Church is an angel sent to Earth to keep dark forces at bay. Falling in love was never part of her mission, but the bond between Beth and her mortal boyfriend, Xavier Woods, is undeniably strong. But even Xavier’s love, and the care of her archangel siblings, Gabriel and Ivy, can’t keep Beth from being tricked into a motorcycle ride that ends up in Hell. There, the demon Jake Thorn bargains for Beth’s release back to Earth. But what he asks of her will destroy her, and quite possibly, her loved ones, as well.

The story that Alexandra Adornetto built in her New York Times-bestselling debut, Halo, comes alive in action-packed and unexpected ways, as angels battle demons, and the power of love is put to the test.

I really enjoyed Halo because it was so different and it had such a great vibe about it as you read.  You could really see these angels trying to live life as humans in this town.  Hades was a very different book.  From very near to the beginning you get this feeling of foreboding- even before anything has really happened in the story. You can tell that Bethany has been immersed in the life of a teenage girl.  She doesn't feel as though she stands as firm in her beliefs as she did in Halo.  She really doesn't have the feel of an angel out of Heaven anymore.  We know what she is but she reads like a typical teenage girl who is obsessed with her boyfriend and other peoples' opinions of her.  This worry about what others think was an issue for me.  As an angel, I'd like to see her and Xavier lead by example.  Not pander to the masses.  But, I digress.  After a series of unfortunate events, Beth finds herself in Hell.  Yeah.  THE Hell.  Not where angels usually hang out.  The world building in Hades for this new world underneath our own is really nice.  You get this vivid picture in your mind of all the places and people of Hell as well as a very good view of what demons really are.  Beth manages to survive her incarceration in Hell with Jake Thorn better than most teen girls would handle a grounding.  She throws something of a fit.  Now, Jake.  I expected more from Jake.  But then again, I think I had my hopes set on something that doesn't exist in Alexandra's world.  I expected him to be more redemptive than he was.  I expected Beth to soften towards him a little.  Not in a romantic way but in the way that she should feel towards anyone who was emotionally in need.  As an angel, she should reach out to him and she doesn't really in my opinion.  Now, I am going to wax religious so if that bugs you please ignore.  Everyone has a right to their own faith or lack there of.  Power to you.  This is merely my issue with this book and the world that it details for us.  I do not like Miss Adornetto's view of Heaven and Hell after reading Hades.  I believe that God and all of his/her grace is what is important.  God will forgive so much that the evangelists would like to tell you will land you in Hell.  At least, I'd like to believe that.  The word love is big in the bible and God is love.  So, Alexandra's putting teenage girls and children under 12 in Hell grates on me.  In my view, there are no children in Hell.  Only EVIL people end up there.  Murders and such.  Not gossipy teens and small kids who never grew to know better.  Ok.  I've gotten that out.  I'm shutting up on the religion part now.  That being said.  I liked this book and I'm excited to see what book 3 holds for us!  I think that everyone should read this series for themselves and decide how they feel about it.

You can find out more about Alexandra Adornetto and her works on her author page and you can follow her on Twitter.  You can click here to add the Halo Series to your Goodreads.   It sounds like book 3 will be called Heaven and will be out in about a year.

Hades earns 3 Fairies for the strange underworld and an interesting Jake Thorn.


No comments: