Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer Armentrout

Obsidian is book one from Jennifer Armentrout's Lux series which asks the hard hitting question, what if aliens walk among us- and they're HOT?  I had the pleasure of meeting Jennifer in New York during BEA and she is an absolute gem.  I love her spunky personality and how real she is.  You definitely get that personality in Obsidian's main character, Katy.  Here's the Goodreads blurb and the newer cover for Obsidian.

Starting over sucks. When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up. And then he opened his mouth. Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. The hot alien living next door marks me. You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. If I don't kill him first, that is.
I'll admit to being a little unsure going into this one.  I don't really like aliens.  They're everywhere in movies, TV and books constantly trying to take over our world or just end it.  I can't understand why but they always seem to want to destroy Earth or take it over.  There are only 2 alien types that don't bother me too much and oddly enough, they're pretty similar.  I forgive Superman for being from Krypton because Batman trusts him... mostly.  I'm also willing to overlook that John Smith and his friends from I Am Number Four are aliens.  He lived in Ohio and was willing to put up with Ohio weather and bumpkins so I salute him.  Daemon also gets a huge pass from me on the alien issue.  He's kind of a jerk but he's a hot jerk and he saves Katy who is a girl after my own heart.  He also tries his best to take care of his sister, which is pretty admirable.  The best part of this book for me was how much I loved Katy.  She's not super popular or pretty.  She loves to blog, sit in her jammies and she gets excited for Media Mail packages in her P. O. Box.  She's not the girl that you'd imagine would catch the attention of the super hot alien boy.  She's smart and snarky.  Katy is just an all around great heroine.  I love her to bits.  The story is set in a rural area where people are both super friendly and really suspicious.  It's an interesting choice of setting.  The tone of the book, much like it's location, are pretty dark, ominous and creepy.  It serves to create a really vivid contrast to Daemon and his powers.  Light and dark.  Good aliens and bad aliens.  What a vivid and descriptive story.  I really hope that you'll give this book a try.  The second book in the Lux series, Onyx, will be released on August 14th.  That give you plenty of time to preorder Onyx and read Obsidian.

You can click here to find Obsidian on Goodreads.  You can also click here to find ALL of Jennifer's books on Goodreads.  Jennifer can be found on her blog, her official website and on Twitter.  Obsidian earns 4 Fairies for being able to make me like aliens.


1 comment:

Val said...

Oh how I love Daemon!!! Glad you are willing to give the boy a pass. Heehee. Nice review.

Valerie
StuckInBooks.com