Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Guardian by Mary Calmes

This is another book that I received at BEA.  I wasn't sure what to think of it from the blurb but once I started reading... it was SO good!  It was like Outlander (crazy time/dimension travel) only I actually finished it- unlike Outlander.  Here's the Goodreads blurb:


Jude Shea's life is turned upside down when he rescues a dog he names Joe. Even though Jude has enough trouble taking care of himself-he doesn't even have a job-he can't resist the animal that needs him. Then one night, a man shows up on his doorstep looking to claim Jude's new companion. As they run from a surprise attack, Jude finds out that "Joe" is not what he seems. Eoin Thral is a guardian from an alternate dimension, and once he leads Jude through the veil that separates their worlds, he transforms into a handsome hulk of a man known for his fighting skills, not the capacity for love. Jude finds himself immersed in Eoin's world, and he's faced with the fight of his life to secure a happy future for them both.
This was super fun to read!  I loved how a guardian is a shapeshifter.  A dog and a man.  Jude is a fun character that I really enjoyed.  I liked how strong he was.  He's so strong and even when he lacks confidence, he doesn't let people mistreat him.  I really respect that about him.  I also loved how brave he was even in the face of a strange place and the chance that he might not make it back to his home.  I know some people like to criticize the idea of a "mystical" mate but I don't see the difference between that idea and the idea of soulmates.  I just love the idea of there being some one (or more than one) person for everyone.  I feel like there should be a heart felt connection between people.  Jude and Eoin have that for sure.  There is a soul deep connection that they both feel and respect.  I love it.  I really hope that you'll give this book a try.  It has everything: action, adventure, drama and romance.  What a great read!

You can find Mary Calmes on her blog and you can find all of her books on her author page at Dreamspinner Press.  You can also click here to add The Guardian to your Goodreads.  The Guardian earns 4 Fairies for an excellent book that I loved every minute of!


No comments: