Friday, May 24, 2013

Die for Me (Revenants #1) by Amy Plum

I bought Die for Me on the Kindle a while back and when my moms book club decided to read it, I was excited that I already had the book!  I've wanted to read it for a long time but I just hadn't gotten to it yet.  I am so glad I got the chance to read it.  Here's the lovely cover and Goodreads blurb:


In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.
I know that this is another book/series where people are comparing it to Twilight.  I even thought about it being similar in places as I read it but really, if you are looking for similarities between books- you will find them.  Books have been unintentionally similar to each other all through history.  Deal.  I found Die for Me to be very unique and engaging.  I loved that the characters had short but interesting back stories that made them easy to love.  Vincent was a treat.  I really enjoyed reading about him.  Vincent was by no means perfect, but he was willing to open up to Kate.  He's romantic and sweet even though he hasn't had an easy life (or after life).  He's seen some awful things but something about Kate allows him to feel again.  Kate was a girl after my own heart.  I agree with her that I'd rather read than go out to loud clubs.  I was the same way when I was in high school.  I will warn you that there are mentions (a lot of them) of death.  If that is a trigger for you, be warned.  Kate has lost her parents and I could really understand her way of grieving.  I spent a lot of time reading and sleeping after losing my dad to cancer two years ago.  There are still times when something will open the wound and it'll all come back.  I really could identify with Kate.  The one thing about her that I took issue with was that she is so against anyone else she knows dying.  I don't know if it is because of her young age or what but I feel like we need to understand that death has to happen in life.  We should appreciate the time that we have together but death happens.  It is part of the cycle of life and those people we lose, they would want us to live and be happy.  Kate should be proud of all the good that Vincent has done in the world.  And even if he sacrifices himself, he will still come back.  So Kate's inability to deal with that... I find it annoying, a bit.  All around I really enjoyed this book and I can't wait to order the other two books in the series.

You can find Die For Me and the rest of the Revenants books on Goodreads by clicking here.  Amy Plum can be found on her website, Twitter and Facebook.  You can also find tons of stuff on her YouTube- Revenants Central.  I give Die For Me 4 Fairies for a unique read with darling characters and beautiful imagery.


2 comments:

Angels With Attitude Book Reviews said...

Need to add this to my TRP.Love the Cover !

Joelle@http://angelswithattitudebookreviews-joelle.blogspot.com/

Megan said...

I know! It is lovely!