Friday, July 26, 2013

Affliction (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter #22) by Laurell K. Hamilton

I've been a huge fan of Laurell K. Hamilton since my roommate in college said "You have to read these" and thrust her whole set of Anita Blake and Merry Gentry books into my arms.  I did not get my readings done for classes that week.  But I did fall in love with Laurell K. Hamilton's seemingly endless stream of amazing characters.  This year marks 20 years of Anita Blake and Affliction is a great book to mark that event!  Here's the cover and the Goodreads blurb:

Some zombies are raised. Others must be put down. Just ask Anita Blake.

Before now, she would have considered them merely off-putting, never dangerous. Before now, she had never heard of any of them causing human beings to perish in agony. But that’s all changed.

Micah’s estranged father lies dying, rotting away inside from some strange ailment that has his doctors whispering about “zombie disease.”

Anita makes her living off of zombies—but these aren’t the kind she knows so well. These creatures hunt in daylight, and are as fast and strong as vampires. If they bite you, you become just like them. And round and round it goes…

Where will it stop?
Even Anita Blake doesn’t know.
I loved this book.  The last two or so have been a bit meh but I think that Laurell and Anita have gotten back their mojo.  Jean Claude was lovely in this book.  I really felt like he'd relaxed, finally, and let Anita in.  He felt so real.  Micah and Nathaniel were also pretty great.  I finally could understand the relationship between the 3 of them.  Micah was showing love for Nathaniel and Nathaniel was giving it right back.  Beautiful.  It was interesting to finally see where Micah came from.  To see him as a real person and not as this amaizingly beautiful supernatural creature who can handle anything.  I did not like some of the revelations about how Micah was bringing animal groups into the Furry Coalition but I don't have to like it.  Anita does.  So I guess that it is my personal issue.  Anita is fighting vampires and zombies and doing her best.  She is making plans for the future and FINALLY making decisions on how she wants to live her life.  I really can't wait for the next book.  Laurel K. Hamilton has also announced that she will be publishing the next Merry Gentry book soon.  YAY!

You can click here to find the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series on Goodreads.  Laurell K. Hamilton can be found on Twitter, Facebook and on her website.  I give this book 4 Fairies for reminding me why I've loved Anita Blake for the last 12 years.


No comments: