Saturday, July 27, 2013

Pandemonium (Delirium #2) by Lauren Oliver

I met Lauren Oliver 2 years ago when she stopped in Columbus on her Delirium tour.  She is super nice and really down to earth.  I love her and her books.  I was lucky enough to see that our local library had finally bought copies of the final two books in the Delirium series so I was able to read them without breaking my husband's book buying ban.  Here is the cover and Goodreads blurb:

I’m pushing aside
the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana
and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.

Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite.
It took me about half of this book to really get into this book.  The narration switches back and forth between Lena remembering The Wilds and the Present.  It was confusing and disjointed at first but it was necessary to move the story ahead and to understand everything going on.  There are a number of new characters added in this book.  There are the other Invalids in The Wilds and the others in the Resistance.  Lena also meets Julian who is a member of the DFA.  He comes into the story about halfway through so we don't get to know him too well but I kinda like him.  Lena also mourns for Alex, who she believes died during the escape.  It's heart breaking to watch.  I really had to wonder if the Invalids are any better off than the "zombies" in the cities.  You can run away from the cities for love but you will always be cold, dirty and hungry.  Your children won't have access to medical care on the outside.  It is really a no win situation.  Neither group has the better life so something in the society has to change.

You can click here to find the Delirium Series on Goodreads.  Lauren Oliver can be found on her website, on Tumblr, on Twitter and you can like her author page on Facebook.  I give Pandemonium 4 Fairies for a gripping continuation of the Delirium Series.


No comments: