Saturday, July 13, 2013

Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse #13) By Charlaine Harris

I finally got my hands on a copy of the (sort of) last Sookie Stackhouse book.  I was on the waiting list at our local library for two months to get it because I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy it due to mixed reviews.  That move seems to have paid off.  Here is the cover and Goodreads blurb:


There are secrets in the town of Bon Temps, ones that threaten those closest to Sookie—and could destroy her heart...

Sookie Stackhouse finds it easy to turn down the request of former barmaid Arlene when she wants her job back at Merlotte’s. After all, Arlene tried to have Sookie killed. But her relationship with Eric Northman is not so clearcut. He and his vampires are keeping their distance…and a cold silence. And when Sookie learns the reason why, she is devastated.

Then a shocking murder rocks Bon Temps, and Sookie is arrested for the crime.

But the evidence against Sookie is weak, and she makes bail. Investigating the killing, she’ll learn that what passes for truth in Bon Temps is only a convenient lie. What passes for justice is more spilled blood. And what passes for love is never enough...
I am going to try my best to keep this as spoiler free as I can but if I slip up- I apologize in advance.  That being said, I am going to agree with many of my reader friends on this one: the ending left me... unhappy.  I loved that we got to revisit so many of the characters that we met over the course of the series.  Tara and Sookie rekindling their friendship was great.  But I felt like the entire book was rushed as if Ms. Harris said "I am so sick of writing this.  I want it tied up and over with as soon as possible".  I also was thrown for a loop with the way Sookie's love life panned out.  We knew she would not become a vampire (Ms. Harris has said so in about every interview ever) but I just spent 12 books thinking it was a choice between Eric and Bill,  Eric and Alcide, Eric and Quinn.  I felt like the rug had been pulled out from under me and Ms. Harris said "Ha! The answer is D- None of the Above!"  I felt unsettled over that part.  Sure, the guy she ends up with fits with the idea of her not turning but it felt forced.  This book, the entire book, felt like the last chapters of Mockingjay- like the author gave up and just wanted to be done.  I'm glad that I did not buy my copy yet- I will get it at the resale shop or online for cheap to finish my collection but I probably won't re-read this one.

You can find out more about Charlaine Harris and her books on her official website.  You can click here to find this book on Goodreads.  This book earns 3 Fairies for

No comments: