Sunday, July 14, 2013

Tithe (Modern Fairy Tale #1) by Holly Black

I love Holly Black's work.  Her Curse Workers series was the first of her books that I read and I knew after finishing White Cat that I had to try her fairy series.  Here is the cover and blurb for book one in the series, Tithe:


Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms - a struggle that could very well mean her death.
I loved that this book has the story of a changeling.  What must that be like to have everything you thought you knew turn out to be false?  To find that your skin is green and that you have wings?  The amount of metal and technology in the modern world would have to cause a great deal of stress on the fey world.  Kaye finds Roiben in our world, hurt and in need of help and from there... well, it all goes to hell.  Kaye has a life that is a lot like the lives that my high school friends lived.  I found this book to be both creative and realistic.  This fairy tale as dark as one would expect from Holly Black.  I look forward to reading the rest of this series!

You can also find out more about Holly Black and her other books on her website and you can follow her on Twitter!!  Click here to add Tithe to your Goodreads.  I give Tithe 4 Fairies for a creepy modern tale of fairies and changelings.


No comments: