Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Insurgent (Divergent #2) by Veronica Roth

I have been trying to finish this book all summer!  I love the Playaways that our local library has and I started this book on the Playaway and got about eight chapters in before my only headphones ceased to work.  (A Playaway is a little audio book device that you put a battery in and plug your headphones into and go.  I use them a lot while cooking, canning, baking, gardening, crafting and especially while picking berries at my in-laws' farm.)  So I took it back to the library and ordered a new pair of comfy headphones.  Once they came in I had to wait for the Playaway to be returned to the library.  I finally finished this book a few weeks ago and I am so glad that I stuck with it!  Here's the cover and Goodreads blurb:

Every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves, and herself, while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.
First off, I love the cover.  The tree is so pretty.  The book was interesting to listen to as opposed to reading it because of the changes in voices that really brought the story to life.  I thought that this book really was all about choices.  The choices that each person makes and how they affect those around them.  Tobias makes the choice whether or not to trust his father and whether or not to trust Tris.  Tris makes the choice to trust her brother.  Every choice has consequences and repercussions.  It was interesting to see Tris continually weighing the options with logic and thought to come to a conclusion.  It is part of what makes her Divergent.  The idea of Divergence is revisited many times in this book.  Having many different facets to our personality is something that just makes sense to you and me but it doesn't work that way for the people in Tris' world.  They believe so strongly that the natural way to be is to have one main aptitude.  As the story goes on, we find out that more and more people are Divergent.  This story is not just an action and adventure story or a love story or even a philosophical story- it is all those things at once.  It is just an amazing thought provoking read.

You can find out more about Veronica Roth and her work on her website, blog, Facebook Fanpage, and Twitter.  Click here to add the Divergent Series to your Goodreads.  You can also click here for a preview of the final book in the series that is due out in October.  Divergent is currently being made into a movie as well, click here for that page.  I give Insurgent 5 Fairies for a great read that was an absolute joy as an audio book.


No comments: