Monday, December 15, 2014

Manifest by Alden Lila Reedy

I love the art of cosplay. It has been a wonderful experience for my children to learn about cosplay and to cosplay at their favorite events. I was so excited to see that Less Than Three Press had a new story out that focused on cosplay and gender identity- two things that are meaningful and special to me. Here is the cover and Goodreads blurb for Manifest from Less Than Three Press:

The very last thing Chris expects when he's forced to take sewing lessons is to enjoy them. Or for sewing to lead him into the world of cosplay, and a friend with whom he begins to cosplay in earnest—and who convinces him to try dressing up as female characters.
He certainly doesn't anticipate the realizations that cosplaying stirs—realization that could cost Chris not just his best friend, but his family as well.


I loved this short story! It was interesting and emotional to read. I found the writing style to be interesting. It's written like a diary entry or a the way that you would tell a story to a friend. I found it to be very emotional. It just grabs you and draws you in. I have found that many people who cosplay use the activity as a way to explore their personality and self expression. Crossplay is a great way for cosplayers to explore their gender identity and expression. Chris is no exception. Cosplay is so much more than just sewing and gluing some stuff together. It is a way to be more you. You can experience new things and come out of your shell in a safe place. Cosplay has a great community world wide that is super safe and supportive. I really enjoyed reading Chris' story about his journey into cosplay.

This short story is available right now for pre-order at an insanely discounted rate on the Less Than Three website. It is also available as a part of the Geek Out Bundle from Less Than Three. I give Manifest 3 Fairies for a lovely story about cosplay and finding yourself that left me wanting more. .

No comments: