Monday, January 14, 2013

God Save the Queen (Immortal Empire #1) by Kate Locke

I was lucky enough to get a copy of God Save the Queen at BEA.  I even got it signed!  That was amazing.  Kate was lovely and he boots were the most beautiful footwear I have seen in a long time.  I also have to say that I loved that this book has a hardcover even though it is trade paperback sized- GENIUS!


Queen Victoria rules with an immortal fist.

The undead matriarch of a Britain where the Aristocracy is made up of werewolves and vampires, where goblins live underground and mothers know better than to let their children out after dark. A world where being nobility means being infected with the Plague (side-effects include undeath), Hysteria is the popular affliction of the day, and leeches are considered a delicacy. And a world where technology lives side by side with magic. The year is 2012 and Pax Britannia still reigns.

Xandra Vardan is a member of the elite Royal Guard, and it is her duty to protect the Aristocracy. But when her sister goes missing, Xandra will set out on a path that undermines everything she believed in and uncover a conspiracy that threatens to topple the empire. And she is the key-the prize in a very dangerous struggle.
This book was a really fun read.  It reminded me at time of the mystery part of the movie From Hell.  I loved watching Xandra question her place in the world around her.  It was so emotional and gripping to see her realize that she'd been living a life based on other people's lies and how she resolves to move on from there.  The idea of goblins as some mutation of paranormal creatures was interesting.  I'd never read something like that before.  I loved Xandra's sassy personality and funk wardrobe.  The story having a hot alpha werewolf didn't hurt it either.  I highly recommend this one!

You can click here to add God Save the Queen to your Goodreads.  You can also check out Kate's website.  I give God Save the Queen 5 Fairies for a unique and exciting book.


No comments: