Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Kingdom ( Graveyard Queen #2) by Amanda Stevens

I was lucky enough to have won signed copies of The Restorer and The Kingdom a couple months ago.  I need to get my hands on a copy of book three in the series, The Prophet, as soon as possible.  I am just loving this series.  Here's the Goodreads blurb and the cover.


Deep in the shadowy foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains lies a dying town…My name is Amelia Gray. They call me The Graveyard Queen. I've been commissioned to restore an old cemetery in Asher Falls, South Carolina, but I'm coming to think I have another purpose here.

Why is there a cemetery at the bottom of Bell Lake? Why am I drawn time and again to a hidden grave I've discovered in the woods? Something is eating away at the soul of this town—this withering kingdom—and it will only be restored if I can uncover the truth.


This book was so lovely. You can really see through Amanda's descriptions.  I really enjoy the mystery aspect of these books.  You are never really sure what is going to happen or who the bad guy is.  I love that element of suspense.  The discussion of graveyard restoration and tombstone symbolism is great too.  As a genealogist, I spend a lot of time in graveyards.  I love old cemeteries and unique tombstones.  They tell us stories of the past.  Amelia knows that and you can see it all in her character.  Amelia has to be one of my favorite female characters ever.  She is just so endearing.  The idea of the cemetery being under the lake also hit home for me because our nearest state park buts up against a lake that is made from a dammed river.  A town was flooded to form the lake and historians are pretty sure that at least one cemetery is located under the lake.  It is not a stretch to think that the dead buried there would be unhappy about their final resting place being lost to the lake.  I highly reccomend this series!  I am marking it adult for sexual conversations, talk of animal abuse and murder themes but it is not in any way explicit.

You can click here to find the Graveyard Queen series on Goodreads.  You can find Amanda Stevens' website here.  Her Graveyard Queen site is here.  Amanda can also be found on Twitter and Facebook.  This book earns 5 Fairies for an amazing book that I loved.


No comments: